Thursday 14 June 2007

Crash Nightmares haunt Nick Heidfeld

Crash Nightmares haunt Nick Heidfeld
Prior to the Indianapolis Grand Prix BMW Sauber F1 team driver Nick Heidfeld is getting ready to battle - not just his rivals - but some crash nightmares too.

Last year at the same venue Heidfeld had an accident when he ended up on the wrong side of a pile up started when Juan Pablo Montoya clipped McLaren team-mate Kimi Raikkonen and then Honda's Jenson Button, who then made contact with the BMW Sauber.

He was also faced with the horrifying crash of his friend and team mate Robret Kubica in the last race at Montreal. Kubica was lucky to escape with a mild concussion and a sprained ankle and will see an FIA doctor today at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to determine whether he is fit enough to race on Sunday.

My memories of Indy are very varied," said Heidfeld. "In 2001 I managed a sixth-placed finish with Sauber, although I had lost my first, second and, most crucially, seventh gear. That was one of my best races.

"A less pleasant memory is the accident in 2006. We had done well in qualifying, but shortly after the start I was involved in a collision and turned over for the first and, hopefully, last time in my career.

"That is why I was worried when I saw Robert's car at the side and I was happy to hear that he was okay.

"It was difficult to get some information (during the race) and you just saw the car on the side with nothing left."

No comments: